Brazil's Links
More Links
Progressive Ocean
Prog Rock Ring
Spanish Prog Page
Through Different Eyes
New Horizons
G.E.P.R.

Progland was founded by John Gabbard in 2005. It's purpose has been to provide you, the music community with the latest music and dvd reviews. It will continue to be your link to the most popular music reviews in the progressive world.

"3" - Wake Pig

Label - Metal Blade
Reviewed by: Jerry Lucky
Genre: Prog Metal
Language: English
Length: 57:31
Release Date: November 1, 2005
Label:
Metal Blade
Band Members: Joey Eppard - Vocals, Acoustic & Electric Guitar Chris Gartmann - Drums & Backing Vocals
  Billy Riker - Guitar & Strange Effects Joe Stote - Percussion & Keyboards
  Daniel Grimsland - Bass

Track Listing: 1.)- Alien Anger 8.)-Soul To Sell
  2.)-Monster 9.)-One Way Town
  3.)- Dregs 10)-Queen
  4.)- Wake Pig 11.)-Circus Without Clowns
  5.)-Bramfatura 12.)-Where’s Max
  6.)-Trust 13.)-Amaze Disgrace
  7.)-Dogs Of War  
The Review

I’ve been known to cast a skeptical eye towards the current crop of alt. prog bands currently getting hyped in the media these days so it is with great pleasure that I bring to your attention Woodstock, NY based “3” and their latest CD entitled Wake Pig. Unlike some of the other bands who get lumped into this new sub-genre of prog, “3” transcend the current crop of emo-prog peers on a number of levels. Not only is the music crunchy, shape-shifting, symphonic but it’s also melodic and wildly appealing. And on top of all the stellar musicianship, the vocals are up-front, clear and delivered with aplomb. And if that wasn’t enough they have a dedicated keyboardist. ***

The band “3” has been together since the mid 1990’s and consists of Joey Eppard (vocals, guitars), Chris Gartmann (backing vocals, drums), Billy Riker (guitars, effects), Joe Stote (percussion, keyboards) and Daniel Grimsland (bass). With two previous CD’s under their belt, Wake Pig is their third recording effort, and shows a band on a musical mission. Their bio challenges any writer to describe their sound, and it is without question diverse. There is an over-arching crunchy metal tone that is cleverly balanced with large doses of staccato acoustic and electric guitar, bass and drums which is then interspersed with melancholic acoustic interludes. One minute these guys are laying down a solid Tool influenced riff, with fingers slamming the strings at speed, only to come to a split-second halt and blend into a heart-rending melodic moment, all the while avoiding any pretense of sappiness or mockery. I just love it and you know what, even my 14 year old daughter loves it too. ***

None of the songs is overly long, all in the 3 or 4-minute range, but the arrangements are such that some tracks bleed into one another creating music where the net result is far greater than the individual pieces on their own. There are plenty of tempo changes, dense musical assaults, metal guitars, acoustic guitars, and vocal dynamics. It’s the kind of CD where you go from something fast paced and decidedly prog-metal into something arty and influenced by a myriad of English bands. But wait the thing that shines with “3” is how easily they incorporate all of this into a sound that is fresh, timeless and dare I say it…almost upbeat. Yeah, I know there are plenty of dark and doomy moments but their musical balance is uncanny. ***

After repeated listenings, “3” is a definite keeper. Great vocals, wide-ranging song styles, tremendous musicianship, and impeccable arrangements, what more can you ask for. Wake Pig will have no trouble finding a spot in my best of 2005. ***

Kaipa-Keyholder
Magellan- Impossible Figures
John Wetton-Underworld
Big Elf
Grand Stand-Tricks of Time
Marillion-Anoraknophopia
John Wetton-Rock Of Faith
Rush-Vapor Trails
Bigelf-Hex
Jon Anderson-Tour Of The Universe
Pallas-Dreams Of Men-2- Disc Version

Copyright @ Teakwood Productions 2000